Monday, January 08, 2007

Matthew de Zoete at Irene's Pub 01/06/07

This past Saturday, along with my wife and Phil "the Vulture" Proper, I headed to Irene's Pub to hear Matthew de Zoete play. I had read about his appearance in the newspaper and was eager to hear my old friend's music. Although a year ahead of me, de Zoete and I had attended the same high school and often talked. I had not seen or heard much from him since he left high school, and was completely oblivious to the fact that he had been married (although I vaguely recall my father possibly saying something about it when I wasn't paying attention.) Laurianne, my wife, laughed when I told her that the de Zoete family had moved into our old house back in '94 (?).
"What? Are you Dutch people that insular that you only buy houses from eachother?"
I think Matthew's career itself does enough to show how utterly un-Mennonite the Dutch can be.
Anyhow, we were not disappointed with the concert. Matt performed the first set before Ottawa musicians Shannon Rose and Lisa Poushinsky. Matthew played his guitar without the usual accompaniment of his bassist and drummer. I love music, and although I don't always understand it's inner workings, I consider his guitar playing skills to be excellent. His songs are mellow without being dry or superficial, his music is rich and vibrant, and his lyrics are thoughtful and poetic. A few of my favourite songs were Rest Deep, Letters Sent by Mail, and Who Am I to Say? Matt's banter was humourous and the audience was receptive, even after he made a comment that could have been interpreted as slightly derisive towards the French. Of course, Matt loves the French and he clarified that quite well to the audience (he even left me a message in French on the album I purchased.) I still have some of Matt's older music and I have attended a few of his concerts in the past and it is great to see how much both his musicianship and his lyrical prowess have matured.
We were able to converse with Matt for a while after his set, and it was truly enjoyable to catch up with him. We wish him the best of luck in his career, and hope to see him in concert again soon.

Check him and his album Across the Sea out:
Matthew de Zoete

No comments:

Who deh?

Followers