Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Man with the Moustache

On the bus I am quite accustomed to seeing individuals, typically university students, who are wearing vintage clothing or sporting retro styles. I would guess that most of these students do not remember the eighties, and I am quite confident that none of them even existed in the sixties or seventies. I’m not complaining, I think it’s refreshing to see people expressing their individuality by dressing the same as one another.

No really, it’s all good.

Recently, however, I saw a young man with a waxed moustache, rakishly curled upwards. Now, I am definitely not an expert on the sixties or the seventies nor am I particularly knowledgeable about moustaches, but I am fairly certain that, with the notable exceptions of Rollie Fingers and southern gentlemen, the curled moustache went out of style sometime in the twenties. Of course, it probably made appearances in the thirties. Really, though, this type of moustache would have been considered in the same way a mullet would have in the late nineties – a bit out of place, a sort of mullet of facial hair. Now this guy was a real individual, rocking a curled moustache on a busload of slaves to fashion conventions.

Of course, he may have just been from the south.

No comments:

Who deh?

Followers