Saturday, November 04, 2006

Tune of the Week:
I have decided, each week, to share a song that I enjoy. If reggae isn't your thing you will probably be disappointed most of the time. However, there is no need to fret because I do enjoy a wide variety of musical genres. Yes, yes, I know that you weren't fretting, but I was only attempting to multiply, in my mind, the impact of my blog. The first tune is Damage by the underrated Anthony B. Anthony B's patois is quite thick and his Rastafarian double-speak might be a little confusing to wade through and so I have printed the lyrics and given a few definitions. "I and I" is a phrase which eliminates the pronouns you, me, they, he, and she in order to emphasize the i-nity (unity) of the community with the Most I (Most High.) "Downpress" is the word which Rastafarians use to signify oppression. Up is a positive direction and therefore up-pression is an lexicological oxymoron for the Rastafarian. "Babylon" is the entire wicked system of downpression and "livity" is the Rastafarian word for life or for being alive. Enjoy . . . or start fretting, you can do that too.

Anthony B - Damage

I and I defend the downpressed is a must!
You neither I and I need to fight nor fuss
'cause everything them say them rightful own, belong to us
my father don't tell I and I that everything shall fall to I and I is a must
so Babylon set the livity, every day another one bite the dust, my Lord!

CHORUS:
You don't have to say you're sorry, for all the wrongs that you have done, mmmmm
I don't want to hear sad stories, 'cause the damage already done
oh, the damage already done

Broken bones and wounds need tender repair, hang on brotherman, don't despair
although we forgive seven times seven, still the damage already done, so much damage already done.
Stop and listen a while to this meditation style, going straight to your mind.
True, you're wicked and wild, (but) the only way you can deal with this vibe
is to free up your soul and mind, a yagga yagga yagga yoy (chorus)

Everybody wants their peace of mind, trying to justify how they deal with mankind
sometimes I wonder how they sleep at night time when all the damage already done, oh the damage already done. Stop and listen a while to this meditation style, going straight to your mind,
true, you're wicked and wild, (but) the only way you can deal with these vibes
is to free up your soul and mind, a yagga yagga yaga yoy (chorus)


8 comments:

PietHarsevoort said...

Good tune, difficult video to watch. If only more music had the same social conscience.

John den Boer said...

Yeah, this is one thing I love about reggae: a lot of it has a social conscience and talks about difficult issues. I'm glad you like it.

Jono and Janice said...

John, the URL for the CIA factbook has moved. Please update your link accoringly.

John den Boer said...

Ear Jono,

Sorry abou that, I on't want people going to the wrong aress. It has been fixe.

Jono and Janice said...

What, you think my accent is funny?

John den Boer said...

I'm only amused that it transfers into your typing.

John den Boer said...

And, of course, any criticism of the boerishbwoy (tm) blogsite must be met with an immediate counter-attack.

Jono and Janice said...

Thanks for drectifying the situation. Knowing that your links are in order makes me more excited to visit your site. Oh, and I am working on deliminating my accent.

Who deh?

Followers