Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Prophet

The man who called himself Moses
led his people past the promised land
and the prophet cried, "come,
eat manna from my hand!"
and he offered them dirt
although they needed bread
and he made them believe
that they were well-fed
Moses put up his arms and said
"I am. Come follow me,"
and the people followed
to the dark-shadowed valley
When people were sick
Moses left them on the path
"the righteous are never ill
it's a sign of God's wrath."
Moses sought more people
for his exclusive clan
and so he gathered the young
for they trusted this man
Moses raised up his staff
and struck the rock with rage
and cried out in a loud voice
"I am. I free you from your cage!"
Moses was pleased with the people
for they truly sought the Lord
and Moses gathered his tithe
and placed it with his hoard
He split father against son
and mother against daughter
and he declared, "You are
the clay, I am the potter."
Then Korah, Dathan, and Abiram
raised their voices and rebelled
and Moses, righteous Moses
had those men expelled
Anger stirred against him
for his ways were unjust
but Moses did not fear
his heart had turned to dust
The man who called himself Moses
sits upon a corroded throne
but he is in the path
of a rolling stone.

7 comments:

Jono and Janice said...

Hey John, great poem. You are a true artist. Good to hear that you are still trusting in the rolling stone.

Jono and Janice said...

By the way, what's an "Atalas"?

John den Boer said...

Thanks Jono or Janice.

Um, an Atalas? It's Old English for Atlas.

Rod and Bec said...

Well done, John.

Suzanne said...

The more I read this poem, the more brilliant I think it is. Just thought you should know that. I think The Minstrel should have published more of your poems, because they are well-crafted and meaningful. This one makes its point very well, but with some subtlety.

John den Boer said...

thank you rodandbec, thanks suzanne

Rod and Bec said...

I am with Suzanne on this one...I've come back a few times to read it again. Great job.
Bec (again)

Who deh?

Followers