Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Welcome to the Blogosmos, Picturegy.

I was going to get right into what I had to say but then my breath was taken away by the brilliance of my title. I'll repeat it for those who missed it "Welcome to the Blogosmos, Picturegy." At first glance this title seems rather plain and ordinary, perhaps even confounding but let me explain to you why this title should be nominated for the Pulitzer (assuming they hand them out for brilliant blog titles and assuming further that there is some electronic gadget which allows the Pulitzer people to give the award to a few inanimate letters deep in the caverns of the internet.)
First of all, I have replaced the common reference to the entire blogging world - blogosphere - with a much better, much snappier replacement - blogosmos. Let's just say that the word "blogosphere," if we want to be etymologically correct, should only refer to the gaseous region above a blog. This region does not exist and, therefore, has no need to be labelled. If we seriously wanted to talk about the entire blogging world we would say something like the "blog-a-terre" (which sounds stupid and just a little bit French.)
Blogosmos, on the other hand, comes from the grand fastening of the words blog and kosmos together. Blog originated in 1998 as a grand fastening of the words web and log while kosmos is the Greek word for universe. Therefore, instead of welcoming Picturgy to the non-existant gaseous region above the blogs, I am welcoming him to the blog universe.
The second bit of brilliance in this title I am not responsible for. No, the second bit belongs entirely to Aaron Gysbers. Aaron, has taken the word "picture" and his last name, Gysbers, and grandly fastened them together into the word "picturegy." Aaron has a fondness for photographs (hence the use of the word picture) and (here's the bit that will make you see Gysber's true brilliance) he likes to be referred to as a "guy without spurs." Picture + Gy - sbers = Picturegy.
Welcome, Aaron, welcome.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

John, my e-mail is ccrookall@hotmail.com , but I find alot of people's e-mails end up in the recycling bin - so you might want to try the old phone aproch. It's 224-9922.
-Chris

p.s. -Do you know what ever hapend to Man?

John den Boer said...

I thought Man planned to teach English overseas but then I heard someone say that no one knew where he was . . . So, I don't know.

John den Boer said...

I guess the sphere in blogosphere could also refer to the planet . . . but the improvement offered by blogosmos is plain, I think.

Anonymous said...

i don't have anything clever to say at this exact point in time. but if you are looking for man, i think that he is actually still working in the hamilton area.
plus thanks for the grand welcome john. it made me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Anonymous said...

hey buj, you know what else is clever. todd apparently has started his own blog spot. (i think it's a school project or something, and i think that it may only be published on the school network (because i have yet to locate it in the so called blogosmos)). however he apparently used the french word tre -meaning very- and the english word sneaky - meaning sneaky- and fused them together to create tresneaky. so todd, very sneaky and very clever!

John den Boer said...

If I was going to make a blog for Todd I would definitely call it "tresneaky"

Who deh?

Followers