Thursday, June 10, 2010

Update:

~ According to the Ottawa Citizen, 24 billion people will be tuned into the World Cup.

~ Estimated World Population as of 2010: 6.8 billion.

~ Accountants are always stressing the importance of decimal placement.

~ I wish it were about 70 degrees warmer outside right now.

~ Hup, Holland, Hup.

~ Ottawa always seems to be talking about a light rail transit system. It seems like none of the people talking about the transit system actually ride public transportation.

~ I think Ottawa is secretly jealous of Toronto.

~ Ottawans seem to spend a lot of time complaining about how Ottawa isn’t bike-friendly. They should try riding a bike through downtown Toronto. If they did, I think they’d stop being jealous.

~ Ottawa has 170 km of bike paths.

~ I still don’t consider myself an Ottawan.

~ The bread I buy is always slightly too dark on top, almost burnt.

~ The previous statement was incredibly boring to those uninterested in my bread consumption.

~ Everyone is unquestionably interested in my bread consumption, though. You're welcome.

~ I favour peanut butter and jam, with a preference toward raspberry over strawberry jam.

~ Enthralling, I know. I should do an entry just on my bread consumption.

~ I was able to make a dentist appointment for Monday, I’m pretty sure I have a cavity. If not, I just have a tooth that doesn’t enjoy being touched by anything sweet, hot, carbonated, or any combination thereof.

~ I believe it has been almost ten years since I have been to the dentist.

~ I’ve eaten a lot of bread since then.

~ My youngest sister, who’s in grade 8, received first place in high jump at Master’s field day.

~ I remember trying for the school record in grade 8, but I didn’t match it. Then I jumped really badly on Master’s field day.

~ My second youngest sister is en route to become a Neurosurgeon.

~ Sometimes I spread misinformation.

~ My third youngest sister is the world’s most helpful person. Ask anyone who knows her.

~ Sometimes I spread truth.

~ My second oldest sister is enroute to becoming Florence Nightingale.

~ Sometimes I make bold assertions that hinge on a comparison between heroines of the Crimean War and a sibling's future career.

~ My oldest sister cooks the world’s best chicken, bakes the greatest raisin bread, and has the most amazing children.

~ Sometimes you just want to go to Saskatchewan.

~ In comparison, I was voted the most likely to own my own tropical island in my last year of high school.

~ I am well on my way to not owning my own tropical island.

~ World Cup tomorrow!

5 comments:

PietHarsevoort said...

The Netherlands looks pretty good. I wonder how they'll implode. Hopefully a semifinal exit at least.

Hup Holland!

Also, white or brown bread? Inquiring minds need to know!

Suzanne said...

You made me laugh about Florence Nightingale. I could never duplicate her achievements or her importance to nursing. She was an amazing nurse, activist, and force for change. I know she was not the only one forcing change, but she was the one every one still remembers with the most astounding legacy. I'd hate to think what would have happened if any one had succeeded in stopping her and crushing her dreams.
Btw I do realize you were joking, but Florence Nightingale is my hero, and in the end it is so ludicrous to be compared to her I had to comment.

John den Boer said...

Piet - Yeah, they look good. I just hope they control their nerves and play as strongly as they did in qualifying. It's brown bread! Brown bread all day every day.

Suzanne - Nursing is a great profession and you have the hart for it :)

Suzanne said...

John, please reassure me that you didn't intentionally type "hart" instead of "heart". I hope you have a wonderful day today. Mom and Dad had a lovely celebration of their anniversary last night. I can't wait to see you again very soon!

John den Boer said...

Whoops - for both the misspelling and forgetting mom and dad's anniversary.

Who deh?

Followers